Questions to Ask Your Psychiatrist (Ongoing)
- What is my diagnosis and how did you come to that conclusion?
- What medication do you propose to use? (Ask for the name and dosage level.)
- What is the biological effect of this medication, and what do you expect it to accomplish?
- What are the risks associated with this medication?
- How soon will we be able to tell if the medication is effective, and how will we know?
- Are there other medications that might be appropriate? If so, why do you prefer the one you have chosen?
- What are the side effects of the medication? How long should I “wait out” any side effects before calling you?
- Are there other medications or food that I should avoid while taking this medication?
- How long do you expect me to be on this medication?
- How often will I be seeing you until the medication takes effect?
- If I’m taking more than one drug, when and how often should I take each one?
- How do you monitor medications, and what symptoms indicate that the dosage should be raised, lowered or changed?
- Are you currently treating other patients with this illness?
- What are the best times and what are the most dependable ways for getting in touch with you?
- What do you consider an emergency if I have to call you after hours?
Feel free to add your own questions.